Big disappointment with Postgres

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2011 13:40:10 +0000 (UTC)

I invested quite some time in learning the thing, as it seemed very similar to Oracle. Unfortunately, when it came down to the pilot project, the mass of the SQL to be ported ultimately required optimizer hints. There was simply a mass of SQL, ported to different architecture which needed quick & dirty fix, because of the sheer volume and the deadline. Unfortunately, Postgres community is run by programming wiz kids who have never managed a large database and they sanctimoniously refuse to even consider hints.
Consequently, I have to kill the pilot project. Postgres is, simply, not a viable alternative. Not with that attitude, anyway.
--
http://mgogala.byethost5.com