Re: Big disappointment with Postgres

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2011 14:58:16 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 04 Feb 2011 06:50:29 -0800, Mark D Powell wrote:

> Update - It also appears that postgreSQL has a hint feature:
> http://www.enterprisedb.com/docs/en/8.3R2/perf/
Postgres_Plus_Advanced_Server_Performance_Guide-28.htm

> HTH -- Mark D Powell --

This is Postgres:
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Todo#Features_We_Do_Not_Want

"Optimizer hints (not wanted)

    Optimizer hints are used to work around problems in the optimizer and introduce upgrade and maintenance issues. We would rather have the problems reported and fixed. We have discussed a more sophisticated system of per-class cost adjustment instead, but a specification remains to be developed."

In essence, when I encounter a problem, I am supposed to contact one of the gurus and have him develop a "custom patch" for me. Nice little racket.

--
http://mgogala.byethost5.com