Re: Big disappointment with Postgres

From: Mark D Powell <>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2011 06:43:16 -0800 (PST)

On Feb 4, 9:36 am, John Hurley <> wrote:
> Mladen:
> # Unfortunately, Postgres community is run by programming wiz kids who
> have never managed a large database and they sanctimoniously refuse to
> even consider hints.
> Aren't hints in oracle code an extreme example of "extensions" to the
> SQL language?
> Do any other relational databases support hints?
> Obviously if Oracle supports the database code they are free to
> introduce proprietary extensions as they see fit into their code base.
> Does MySQL support hinting the way Oracle does?

I know that SQL Server has some optimizer hints available so Oracle is definitely not the only vendor to provide developers a means to adjust the optimizer plan.

According to the official mySQL manual it also supports hints:

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Fri Feb 04 2011 - 08:43:16 CST

Original text of this message