Re: Big disappointment with Postgres

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2011 14:53:55 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 04 Feb 2011 06:43:16 -0800, Mark D Powell wrote:

> On Feb 4, 9:36 am, John Hurley <hurleyjo..._at_yahoo.com> wrote:

>> Mladen:
>>
>> # Unfortunately, Postgres community is run by programming wiz kids who
>> have never managed a large database and they sanctimoniously refuse to
>> even consider hints.
>>
>> Aren't hints in oracle code an extreme example of "extensions" to the
>> SQL language?
>>
>> Do any other relational databases support hints?
>>
>> Obviously if Oracle supports the database code they are free to
>> introduce proprietary extensions as they see fit into their code base.
>>
>> Does MySQL support hinting the way Oracle does?

> I know that SQL Server has some optimizer hints available so Oracle is
> definitely not the only vendor to provide developers a means to adjust
> the optimizer plan.
>
> According to the official mySQL manual it also supports hints:
> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/index-hints.html
>
> HTH -- Mark D Powell --

DB2 too:
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/dzichelp/v2r2/index.jsp?topic=/ com.ibm.db2.doc.admin/p9li375.htm

Oracle, DB2, SQL Server and MySQL all provide hints. Hints are nothing unusual, they're the necessary fix with the large projects. The project in question was a porting project with a deadline. There was a ton of SQL that needed to be ported fast. Without hints, this is not possible, therefore, the Postgres pilot project was canceled. With hints, there would probably be far fewer consulting gigs for the postgres gurus, which may help explaining the religious zeal. Oracle is expensive, but not as expensive as the downtime. Bummer.

--
http://mgogala.byethost5.com