Re: Big disappointment with Postgres

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2011 09:20:51 -0800 (PST)

On Feb 9, 5:20 am, Mladen Gogala <gogala.mla..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 09 Feb 2011 22:06:19 +1100, Noons wrote:
> > But of course we know they are all geniuses and any field experience for
> > them is flawed by "dba attitudes".  And other such lunacy.  Typical
> > Stonebraker attitude.
>
> I decided to write the hint system myself. Given the current state of my
> projects, I am in the middle of writing another PHP book, it will take me
> a few months, maybe even a year, but I will do it. If that doesn't get
> entered into the code, I will start working on a fork.
> Stonebraker lost to Oracle precisely because of his attitude.
> Unfortunately, he has passed that "artistic" attitude down to his heirs.
> I was wondering why Oracle didn't go after Postgres and it did go after
> MySQL and I figured it out. Postgres is, essentially, a harmless artistic
> project which doesn't stand much chance of ever taking hold in the
> corporate server rooms. They experienced a surge of interest with the
> raising prices of Oracle, but it will pass. For that project to really be
> successful, it would have to be wrestled out of the hands of the former
> pastry bakers and their ilk.
>
> --http://mgogala.byethost5.com

Now, that is beyond totally cool!

I sure hope this is one of those times a dedicated person or small group blows past the "experts." As down as I can be on DIY for the commercial world, I have seen it work. A necessary condition is one person with the motivation, qualification and resources to pull it off.

You go, Gogala!

jg

--
_at_home.com is bogus.