Re: Big disappointment with Postgres

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2011 17:02:07 +0000 (UTC)

On Sat, 05 Feb 2011 12:16:23 +0000, Eric wrote:

> I don't get it either. You've been playing with Postgres for a year,
> expecting to do migrations, and you didn't do trial migrations early on,
> basically at the proof-of-concept stage?

The whole thing was a proof of concept. There were 2 pilot projects that I did, before the machine was allocated. The idea was something like: "Mladen, see if we can use Postgres to replace some of our Oracle databases". Of course, I had to learn a new database system, which I did. That doesn't happen over night. My judgment, delivered yesterday, was: 'Postgres cannot be used for mission critical applications. It can be used for replacing small, ancillary databases and used to store for LDAP data, but much more. It lacks necessary features and switching one of the mission critical applications to Postgres would jeopardize our business".

Basically, Postgres is just a toy. That's exactly what Mr. Berkus wrote about it, in his naivety.

--
http://mgogala.byethost5.com