Re: Big disappointment with Postgres

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2011 09:14:56 -0800 (PST)

On Feb 14, 5:32 am, "Jonathan Lewis" <jonat..._at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> Ultimately it's much harder (and much less reasonable) for the DBA to
> decide what the right information is for a particular query than it is to
> know enough to determine a sensible path.

I don't know if people outside of the US are following it, but IBM's Watson computer is playing on Jeopardy. It's kind of an infomercial for IBM, not that that is a bad thing. Big roomful of servers, with an icon on a screen in the player's area showing how much it is "sweating." Last night's first round ended in a tie between Watson and one of the humans.

The funniest part was when Watson said "Harry Potter" when the correct question was "Voldemort." 2880 POWER7 processor cores and 16 Terabytes of RAM, got it exactly backwards in 3 seconds.

jg

--
_at_home.com is bogus.
http://www.nbc11news.com/news/headlines/Jeopardy_episode_featuring_Watson_to_re-air_at_430_pm_Wednesday_116230689.html?ref=689