Re: Big disappointment with Postgres

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2011 22:28:34 +0000 (UTC)

On Sun, 06 Feb 2011 21:35:54 +0100, Matthias Hoys wrote:

> Relational databases are evil. Let's go NoSQL

Actually, there is a hilarious clip on YouTube called "MongoDB is web scale". This clip intrigued me so I installed MongoDB and was pleasantly surprised. It is quite a nice piece of software and will be very well suited for a document database once they iron out few critical bugs. However, the spreadsheet/table way of representing things is deeply woven into the way companies are doing business and will not go away anytime soon. One of the advantages of RDBMS systems is precisely the fact that they impose structure on the otherwise chaotic set of business data. Being structureless is not necessarily an advantage. Having said that, I believe that MongoDB will survive, as a niche player, and may actually become quite large. Problem, however, with many open source projects, is that they are frequently overrun by hippies and adopt some religious beliefs which can eventually sink them or marginalize them. Examples of such projects are Pascal, Modula-2, ogg and some others. Smart thing on the part of Linus Torvalds is precisely the fact that he didn't allow that.

--
http://mgogala.byethost5.com