Re: New Solaris announcement

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2012 08:48:51 -0700 (PDT)

On Oct 4, 9:15 pm, Mladen Gogala <gogala.mla..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Oracle usually makes announcements on the OOW, this one is no exception:
>
> http://www.oracle.com/us/corporate/press/1859224
>
> However, this announcement did surprise me. It says the following:
>
>  "Improve Oracle Real Application Clusters lock latency by 17% by
> offloading lock management into the Oracle Solaris kernel."
>
> So, RAC lock management is now moved to OS? How smart is to use other
> platforms for RAC? In particular, what about Linux OS? If Solaris is
> getting preferential treatment, as is visible from the following
> statement, how smart it is to use Oracle on Linux? How committed is
> Oracle Corp. to the Linux OS?

Good questions. Lock management came from VMS, and then the big thing was to take it out of the kernel,. I'd wildly speculate the kernel people are smart enough to layer the code so it could be migrated as a separate product on other platforms, or even a module within an Oracle linux. OCFS2 was taken off alpha status in 2.6.19, and it was based on the old VMS DLM. Then again, I'm probably wildly optimistic, and it's just a hack job by some kids. Then again, it might just be marketspeak. 17% of what?

> “Oracle Solaris 11 is the best UNIX operating system to run Oracle
> applications, deploy mission critical cloud infrastructure and protect
> customer investments,” said John Fowler, executive vice president,
> Systems, Oracle.
>
> OK. What about Oracle Linux? Is it at least a good choice? Solaris 11 is
> obviously the best choice, but will Linux still remain at least a good
> choice?

Prolly the difference is scale. Sell app for cloud to SMB market, then bring linux in house once established, use cloud for additional projects, then bring in house again with appliance. Listening to Larry drone on about fusion put me to sleep, but mo money mo money mo money for mo licenses, mo licenses, mo licenses. Since they sell apps, the strategy to be able to package soup-to-nuts the same thing in such wildly different configurations based on whatever the customer heard was best, is brilliant.

> --
> Mladen Gogala
> The Oracle Whispererhttp://mgogala.byethost5.com

Eh? Speak up! lol

jg

--
_at_home.com is bogus.
"A Complete Guide To Going Paperless" title on spam, gave me a