Re: New Solaris announcement

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2012 22:45:11 +1100

Mladen Gogala wrote,on my timestamp of 12/10/2012 8:56 AM:

> that third one, the one that does UltraSPARC, I forgot the name. Maybe HP
> should start thinking of the replacement for the Itanic? Power7+ looks
> like a good candidate.

Dunno about Power7 (yet). But Aix7.1 (the release that groks P7) on our P6 and Oracle 11.2.0.3 resulted in an across the board reduction in CPU usage in ALL our vio dbs in excess of 20%. And with the aid of the new RMAN compression algorithms I am now backing up and restoring dbs at bang-on 800MB/s on a dual 4Gbps FC card system - which is just about the limit with that h/w. In an experimental P6 vio with 4 cards, I can get it easily up to well over 1.2GB/s with nary any I/O wait - which quite frankly, is amazing! HP could do a LOT worse than adopt that sort of hardware. But they'll need to setup a backplane with the bandwidth of the IBM Power series if they want to be competitive: it's not just the CPU or the memory... Received on Fri Oct 12 2012 - 13:45:11 CEST

Original text of this message