Re: New Solaris announcement

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Oct 2012 02:44:25 +0000 (UTC)

On Sat, 06 Oct 2012 15:08:11 -0700, John Hurley wrote:

> # OK. What about Oracle Linux? Is it at least a good choice? Solaris 11
> is obviously the best choice, but will Linux still remain at least a
> good choice?
>
> Mladen this looks like semi trolling ...

Oh, you reckon? It's a post about an Oracle announcement on the Oracle group. How would you explain your semi-accusation?

> If you went to the 2012 Open World linux sessions ...

I didn't go to the OOW. I am exposed to the marketing push daily, I don't think that I should pay for a double dose. Oracle is just a company, not a religion. Pilgrimage is not really necessary and will not guarantee salvation for your immortal database.

> Oracle is
> committed to linux. Remember the penguins on stage with Larry?

I don't remember penguins, I didn't attend OOW. I have never attended OOW and I probably never will. I don't see any gains in it for me. I used to regularly attend EOUG and NYOUG general meetings, because of the useful technical information one could pick up there. However, these meetings have become pure and unadulterated marketing, with very few technical information. Oracle became much more reserved and is filtering technical information to significantly larger degree than before. After attending 3 NYOUG meetings without learning anything useful, I stopped attending.

> Do I
> have to post some pics from that event at Moscone West? Why he
> practically picked up a penguin and ... well use your imagination here

Let me guess: committed an act of despicable animal abuse, albeit on the symbolic level? I guess, that symbolizes commitment.

--
Mladen Gogala
The Oracle Whisperer