Re: New Solaris announcement

From: John Hurley <johnthehurley_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2012 11:36:49 -0700 (PDT)

Joel:

# Any smaller group needs an active core group to keep control away
from marketing types.

As big and active as my local group is ( NEOOUG ... Northeast Ohio Oracle Users Group ) ... we have at times run short of speakers and topics. Or sometimes people cancel on short notice.

That can usually be solved by getting one of the local Oracle guys to put something into the mix ... usually something they have canned and it is ( of course ) marketing heavy.

A couple of meetings in a row like that with a shortage of good volunteers and heck yeah the marketing presentations can get out of control.

You get out of your involvement with users groups more than you put into it ( generally ) but it takes a combination of committed people.

# Yes, you do. :)

Well crud ... I just finished a quick look around and cannot easily locate ... will try again later for pics of Larry and the Penguins from my own camera.

http://news.cnet.com/2300-7344_3-6129561-3.html#2300-7344_3-6129561-2.html?&_suid=134972135701607692794726518365 ... if you are desperate ... Received on Mon Oct 08 2012 - 20:36:49 CEST

Original text of this message