Oracle Arm Twisting?

From: Naveen Nahata <naveen_nahata_at_mindtree.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 04:48:24 -0800

Hi All,

We bought a license for a few components of Oracle 11.0.3. For different products we bought license for different number of users depending upon the requirement we anticipated at that time. But due to some problems we could not implement all the modules. Now our support is expiring in 2 weeks time and we got a quotation for the renewal of support.

Oracle is charging for support on the basis of number of users, and we want that to be reduced, since we are only using the modules with fewer number of users. Now what the Oracle representative is saying is that we can't reduce the number of supported users, and if we want to discontinue the support for a few modules, we will have to terminate the license. This is equivalent of buying a server from IBM and in case of non-renewal of the AMC, we have to return the server.

What I want to know is that, is it a global policy or Oracle is just trying to twist our arms because our site is not a very huge one? Can't I have the license without renewing the support contract? And can't I reduce the number of supported users while renewing the support contract?

Naveen Nahata
Associate IS
Email: naveen_nahata_at_mindtree.com
MindTree Consulting Pvt. Ltd.
#42, Block 'A', 27th Cross,
2nd Stage, Banashankari,
Bangalore - 560070
Ph: 91 (80) 6711777/6712777 Ext. 1614
Fax: 91 (80) 6714000
Web: <http://www.mindtree.com/>

Author: Naveen Nahata
  INET: naveen_nahata_at_mindtree.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Wed Aug 14 2002 - 07:48:24 CDT