Re[2]: Oracle Arm Twisting?

From: <dgoulet_at_vicr.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 09:48:42 -0800

Tim,

    From our recent wrangling with Oracle Support. First off there is the Support Sales folks who are absolutely idiots. Change as little with these folks as you absolutely have to. And double check any quotes they send you, most will not add up the first few times around. Also these folks are not all that upset about de-coupling upgrade and tech support, though when you want back on tech support they will very happily add in the "re-instatement" fee which equals what you should have paid, but didn't. Thankfully you only have to talk to these folks once a year.

Next are the actual support folks at OTS. Now I know we all like to bash these people around, but in the end they are some very good people there right now. Once you've got your CSI, get onto MetaLink & make heavy use of it, I do & I believe it's worth the price you pay. Around 90% of our problems are solved by a scrounge around on MetaLink, the last 10% need an iTAR & I kinda like the iTAR process, it's definitely faster than the old phone support. Although I like the list and do cull that occasional pearl from it, I also make heavy use of MetaLink.

Dick Goulet

Author: "Tim Gorman" <Tim_at_SageLogix.com>
Date:       8/14/2002 8:53 AM

Some background info on support pricing...

For the RDBMS and related database products, support pricing is based a percentage of license pricing. Generally, "perpetual" licensing means just that (i.e. forever), while 2-year lease pricing typically comes at 35% of perpetual licenses and 4-year lease pricing typically comes at 60% of perpetual licenses. Perpetual, of course, really means "until we need to renegotiate for some reason" instead of "forever and ever". Regardless of whether you purchase a perpetual license or 2- or 4-year leases, you pay for Support based on the price of a perpetual license, and that's an important point...

There are two components to support: "upgrades" and "tech support". The right to get automatic upgrades during the term of the license is priced at 15% of a perpetual license while the right to log TARs and use MetaLink (i.e. get a CSI number) is priced at 7% of a perpetual license. Together, this is 22% of a perpetual license. You really can't get rid of the "upgrade" piece of support (i.e. the 15% portion); as far as I know it is not optional. But the "tech support" piece (i.e. 7% portion) is optional and can be split out, if you wish. Of course, Oracle is very resistant to this and will fight like crazy against it, but I'm pretty sure that it is still an option...

I imagine that licensing for Apps R11i modules is priced somewhat different -- I believe it is still based solely on numbers of users, instead of the "CPU" and "power-unit" pricing options offered for the RDBMS and related database products. Still, I think support pricing is still based on a 22% share of the license price, which keeps the discussion relevant.

So, support pricing will only change if your basic licensing changes -- ongoing support costs are pegged to the upfront license costs. Cancelling and restarting perpetual licenses does not pay in this situation -- you only want to pay that upfront cost once if you can, if you have purchased a perpetual license. Going with the 2-year lease can be cost-effective (if pricing stays relatively the same) for roughly 5-6 years (i.e. 2-year lease is 35% of perpetual license), so that is one option that gives you 2-3 tries to adjust or fine-tune your base licensing (along with associated support costs) before you "lock in" by buying perpetual. But many Oracle sales folks won't even mention the 2- or 4-year leases as an option; they'll just pretend it doesn't exist because the "perpetual" option is easier to administer...

---

Yep, it's a whole lot of number-juggling and I could be just plain wrong or
out-of-date on these numbers, but that's my understanding of the money
issues...