Help needed on SQL*FORMS30

From: marc.colten <colten_at_cbnewsb.cb.att.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 1993 17:22:57 GMT

Well, I'm back again. I'm on a new project and I'm slamming head on into the restrictions of ORACLE and the outright lies of the sql*forms manual.

Briefly, here is where I am right now. Part of the problem is that I inherited this project from someone else and I am stuck with modifying their work.

I have a field with an L.O.V. and there is a Key-NXTFLD trigger on it that anyalyses the user entry and goes to a different field depending on the value. The users have requested that they not have to enter a carriage return after double clicking on a value in the L.O.V. window. This sounded reasonable so I looked into it and found the following:

  1. The manual says that the POST-CHANGE trigger will fire when
    "an operator reads a value into a field from a list of values".
    Not true - I turned on the DEBUG mode and the POST-CHANGE trigger does NOT fire until you leave the field.
  2. The second problem is an old one. The completely arbitrary (as far as I'm concerned) division of packaged procedures into "restricted" and "unrestricted". Even if the POST-CHANGE trigger fired when it is supposed to - it will not run
    "GO_FIELD" and it will not run the Key-NXTFLD trigger since
    it contains "GO_FIELD".

Another problem, which I cannot find addressed in the manual is "overwrite". For example, if a field is populated and you want to replace the value, you cannot simply overwrite the value. You have to backspace over the existing value and then enter the new one. If the cursor is at the start of the field (as it often is) you have to use the "right" key to move past the field, *then* backspace and enter the new value.

If anyone has encountered these problems and have a solution, or can state authoritatively that there is no solution, I'd appreciate an e-mail. I will also scan the newgroup for any posted replies.

thanks in advance,

marc colten Received on Fri Mar 05 1993 - 18:22:57 CET

Original text of this message