Unable to shutdown the database

From: <zigzagdna_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2012 00:46:21 -0700 (PDT)

I am on Oracle 11.1.0.7 on HP UNIX 11i. I have been using following procedure to shutdown database for a long time:
  1. shutdown abort
  2. startup
  3. shutdown immediate

Today (after Sandy hurricane where my datacenter lost network connectivity), I noticed:

In the last step, database does not close, I have been waiting for 30 minutes and gave up. My database is only 50GB. Any idea, why?

When I could not do step 3, I did again following steps:

  1. shutdown abort
  2. startup

Database comes up and I do not see any errors. I can access all my data. Can anyon eexplain, database will not shutdown without abort(why I have to wait forever, how I can troubleshoot).     Received on Fri Nov 02 2012 - 08:46:21 CET

Original text of this message