Re: Unable to shutdown the database

From: Kai Rode <nikkit_at_web.de>
Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2012 18:17:10 +0100

>> 1. shutdown abort
>> 2. startup
>> 3. shutdown immediate

>Why are you doing that? Why are you shutting down your database, then
>starting it and shutting down again when you only want to shut down?
>And why are you using "shutdown abort"?

Actually this is not completely nonsensical. If you "shutdown immediate", pending transactions will do a normal rollback. If you do it the way the original poster describes, the database will do a fast parallel rollback in step 2 so it *could* be faster.

Plus I remember a conversation with oracle support I once had while working on a priority 1 ticket: Them: "Now do a shutdown abort". Me: "Do you mean shutdown immediate?". Them: "If you have that much time..." :-) Received on Fri Nov 02 2012 - 18:17:10 CET

Original text of this message