Re: Unable to shutdown the database

From: Robert Klemme <shortcutter_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2012 13:05:27 +0100

On 02.11.2012 08:46, zigzagdna_at_yahoo.com wrote:
> I am on Oracle 11.1.0.7 on HP UNIX 11i. I have been using following procedure to shutdown database for a long
> time:
>
> 1. shutdown abort
> 2. startup
> 3. shutdown immediate

Why are you doing that? Why are you shutting down your database, then starting it and shutting down again when you only want to shut down? And why are you using "shutdown abort"?

"If possible, perform this type of shutdown only in the following situations:

The database or one of its applications is functioning irregularly and none of the other types of shutdown works.

     You must shut down the database instantaneously (for example, if you know a power shutdown is going to occur in one minute).

     You experience problems when starting a database instance. ...
The next startup of the database will require automatic instance recovery procedures."

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e25494/start003.htm#i1006611

Cheers

        robert

http://blog.rubybestpractices.com/