Re: Unable to shutdown the database

From: Mladen Gogala <>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2012 14:56:41 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 07 Nov 2012 10:03:48 +0000, Jonathan Lewis wrote:

> The only reason why you might want to get to a "clean shutdown" state is
> if you follow up with a backup strategy that doesn't copy the online
> redo logs.

Not quite true. I have once lost a database when I tried to re-create control file after shutdown abort. The idea was to make the database OPS. I needed to increase "maxinstances" parameter in the control file. It was an 8i database. Fortunately, I was able to restore it from the backup and it was a development database, but I have ruined my weekend. By the way, the same method of "racification" (what an ugly word, Mogens would be delighted) works today:

  1. Re-create control file
  2. Add the needed number of log threads
  3. Add the needed number of UNDO tablespaces.

The only step that wasn't there in OPS is adding the database and its instances to OCR using srvctl.

Mladen Gogala
The Oracle Whisperer