Re: Unable to shutdown the database

From: ddf <oratune_at_msn.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2012 11:46:10 -0800 (PST)

On Tuesday, November 6, 2012 9:22:16 AM UTC-7, Mladen Gogala wrote:
> On Mon, 05 Nov 2012 20:41:00 -0800, zigzagdna wrote:
>

> > I can give you 10 different links which say there is nothing wrong with
>
> > shutdown abort. I agree that one should try shutdown immediate first;
>
> > but sometimes it takes forever!!!
>

> It doesn't matter what your "10 different links" say. It matters what the
>
> manual says. And the manual says to use "shutdown immediate". If it takes
>
> forever, it's probably an old version or a bug of some kind and you should
>
> work with Oracle support to resolve it. If shutdown immediate is taking
>
> forever, there is a problem. Your "10 different links" will not resolve
>
> it. Oracle support might.
>

> --
>
> Mladen Gogala
>
> The Oracle Whisperer
>
> http://mgogala.byethost5.com

I'll throw in my 2 cents here; to my knowledge it's not 'bad' to use shutdown abort, it's just preferable to NOT use it. Yes, Oracle will perform recovery on the subsequent startup but it won't likely recover/rollback everything. Since 7.3 (I believe) Oracle has implemented 'deferred transaction recovery' which allows the database to open before all of the uncommitted transactions have rolled back; as Oracle won't let uncommitted transactions be seen these uncommitted transactions will be rolled back when the blocks affected are accessed either by a select, an update or a delete. So recovery at startup only brings the database back to the state it was in when the 'shutdown abort' was executed. This can cause transactions to consume more time since the old changes may need to be rolled back before the new changes can take place. This leads to row lock contention as SMON rolls back the uncommitted transactions left from the 'shutdown abort' and the session performing the new changes ALSO attempts to rollback those same changes.

Unless it's a dire emergency I prefer to use 'shutdown immediate' and wait, so I don't have a situation where Oracle is fighting against itself to rollback uncommitted work after a 'shutdown abort'.

David Fitzjarrell Received on Tue Nov 06 2012 - 20:46:10 CET

Original text of this message