Re: Pluggable database in 12C

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2012 20:06:23 +1100

Mladen Gogala wrote,on my timestamp of 18/10/2012 2:13 PM:
> I haven't seen the demo, probably because I haven't attended the OOW, but
> the whole "pluggable database" thing looks like MySQL to me. When another

More or less the same as MSSQL and I suppose MySQL. I'd venture the purchase of MySQL by Oracle *finally* opened the eyes of the sacrosanct "marketing experts" who decide what gets added in each new release...

Last bit of info I have indicates they got it completely wrong: all PDBs share the same container redo log set! Talk about contention... One of the *biggest* advantages MSSQL has in this field is that it is possible to optimize I/O for each PDB log set.
With 12c if it stays with a global redo log? Ah yes, of course: buy Exadata! That's gonna work really well...

> thing is that I can even use Oracle SQL*Developer to connect to DB2. I
> wonder when will Oracle give us local temporary tables? Is that a big
> innovation for the release 12.2?

I think it is. But to me the best thing about it is the easier to handle security across PDBs and within each, as well as the data masking capabilities and being able to use PL/SQL from inside SQL without going through the whole "create this and that" rigmarole. Really useful stuff. Received on Thu Oct 18 2012 - 11:06:23 CEST

Original text of this message