Pondering Question of the Day-RESPECT

From: Koivu, Lisa <lkoivu_at_qode.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2001 07:30:33 -0800

"Hello Oracle Guru"

Now why is it that I get more respect on the Internet than I do in my workplace.  ??

How many of you have this problem?  It's like an ongoing fight with developers, they want carte blanche in the production database, and they do whatever they want EVEN THOUGH I tell them NO, let's do something different that won't affect production.  I go to the CTO because this is like the 3rd time this has happened, and he sends out a let's-be-sure-not-to-offend-anyone email.  But the developer(s) will go ahead and do what they want ANYWAY.  I'm waiting for the first user-mistake recovery to say STOP, I've had ENOUGH and this is how it's going to be, no ifs, ands or buts.

My last job may have been a sweatshop, but at least people respected my authority.  Here, it's a free for all no matter what I do.  Even when I say, Dude, I own the database.  If there's a problem, I have to fix it.  Therefore I say what happens in production and what doesn' t happen in production.

And yes, I am looking for another position.  I can only take this dba/developer/janitor role for so long.

I'M SO GLAD IT'S FRIDAY...  Bring on the Captain Morgan!  It's noon somewhere...

Lisa Rutland Koivu
Oracle Database Administrator
Qode.com
4850 North State Road 7
Suite G104
Fort Lauderdale, FL  33319

V: 954.484.3191, x174
F: 954.484.2933
C: 954.658.5849

http://www.qode.com

"The information contained herein does not express the opinion or position of Qode.com and cannot be attributed to or made binding upon Qode.com."