Re:Pondering Question of the Day-RESPECT

From: <dgoulet_at_vicr.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2001 08:15:28 -0800

Lisa,

    Sounds like you've got a problem. I'll give you my take on this which has worked pretty well, although not always.

    Developers do not get free reign all over the place. They do not get DBA privileges. They do not get access to other than 'USER%' views into the core tables. They get specific access to specific tablespaces in specific instances only. They grant object privileges to database roles only. Grants on objects to other users is on a case by case basis. Passwords are changed with some regularity & are not shared (if I find a case where this is not so, especially in the production systems, I change the password & their boss has to come & get it). I work with the developers as much as possible to insure they don't get out of hand & I will make backups of production stuff before they make changes if they ask. If they don't ask & then break something they're on their own & the grilling that gets handed out by the "powers that be" is more than enough incentive. In some cases I've actually taken over control of the production DB where the developers have created too much havoc, which isn't much.

    I kind of rule with an "iron" hand, but it's soft iron. For the most part if your involved in the beginnings of a project it's easy to keep things in check. It also does help to stand up for your opinions, even to the CIO/CTO. I've gotten to the point where I really don't care if the upper crust is upset with me. If they don't like it they can fire me, there are more than enough other jobs out there. Besides, when I did "let them have their own way", I only spent one evening fixing the mess but the developer ended up spending an entire day before the "firing squad" upstairs. Case closed.

Dick Goulet

Author: "Koivu; Lisa" <lkoivu_at_qode.com>
Date:       2/2/2001 7:20 AM

"Hello Oracle Guru"

Now why is it that I get more respect on the Internet than I do in my workplace. ??

How many of you have this problem? It's like an ongoing fight with developers, they want carte blanche in the production database, and they do whatever they want EVEN THOUGH I tell them NO, let's do something different that won't affect production. I go to the CTO because this is like the 3rd time this has happened, and he sends out a let's-be-sure-not-to-offend-anyone email. But the developer(s) will go ahead and do what they want ANYWAY. I'm waiting for the first user-mistake recovery to say STOP, I've had ENOUGH and this is how it's going to be, no ifs, ands or buts.

My last job may have been a sweatshop, but at least people respected my authority. Here, it's a free for all no matter what I do. Even when I say, Dude, I own the database. If there's a problem, I have to fix it. Therefore I say what happens in production and what doesn' t happen in production.

And yes, I am looking for another position. I can only take this dba/developer/janitor role for so long.

I'M SO GLAD IT'S FRIDAY... Bring on the Captain Morgan! It's noon somewhere...

Lisa Rutland Koivu
Oracle Database Administrator
Qode.com
4850 North State Road 7
Suite G104
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33319

V: 954.484.3191, x174
F: 954.484.2933
C: 954.658.5849

http://www.qode.com

"The information contained herein does not express the opinion or position of Qode.com and cannot be attributed to or made binding upon Qode.com."

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<META NAME="Generator" CONTENT="MS Exchange Server version 5.5.2650.12">
<TITLE>Pondering Question of the Day-RESPECT</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=2 FACE="Arial">&quot;Hello Oracle Guru&quot;</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2 FACE="Arial">Now why is it that I get more respect on the
Internet than I do in my workplace.&nbsp; ??</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2 FACE="Arial">How many of you have this problem?&nbsp; It's like
an ongoing fight with developers, they want carte blanche in the production database, and they do whatever they want EVEN THOUGH I tell them NO, let's do something different that won't affect production.&nbsp; I go to the CTO because this is like the 3rd time this has happened, and he sends out a let's-be-sure-not-to-offend-anyone email.&nbsp; But the developer(s) will go ahead and do what they want ANYWAY.&nbsp; I'm waiting for the first user-mistake recovery to say STOP, I've had ENOUGH and this is how it's going to be, no ifs, ands or buts.&nbsp; </FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2 FACE="Arial">My last job may have been a sweatshop, but at least
people respected my authority.&nbsp; Here, it's a free for all no matter what I do.&nbsp; Even when I say, Dude, I own the database.&nbsp; If there's a problem, I have to fix it.&nbsp; Therefore I say what happens in production and what doesn' t happen in production.&nbsp; </FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2 FACE="Arial">And yes, I am looking for another position.&nbsp; I
can only take this dba/developer/janitor role for so long.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2 FACE="Arial">I'M SO GLAD IT'S FRIDAY...&nbsp; Bring on the
Captain Morgan!&nbsp; It's noon somewhere...</FONT>
</P>

<P><B><FONT SIZE=1 FACE="Arial">Lisa Rutland Koivu</FONT></B>
<BR><FONT SIZE=1 FACE="Arial">Oracle Database Administrator</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=1 FACE="Arial">Qode.com</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=1 FACE="Arial">4850 North State Road 7</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=1 FACE="Arial">Suite G104</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=1 FACE="Arial">Fort Lauderdale, FL&nbsp; 33319</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=1 FACE="Arial">V: 954.484.3191, x174</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=1 FACE="Arial">F: 954.484.2933 </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=1 FACE="Arial">C: 954.658.5849</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=1 FACE="Arial"><A HREF="http://www.qode.com"
TARGET="_blank">http://www.qode.com</A></FONT>
</P>

<P><I><FONT COLOR="#000000" SIZE=1 FACE="Arial">&quot;The information contained
herein does not express the opinion or position of Qode.com and cannot be attributed to or made binding upon Qode.com.&quot;</FONT></I></P>

</BODY>
</HTML>

  INET: dgoulet_at_vicr.com