RE: Pondering Question of the Day-RESPECT

From: Holman, Rodney <rodney.holman_at_lodgenet.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2001 08:32:38 -0800

<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff

size=2>Lisa,
Rather
than talking to the CTO about this go to the Dir, VP, or whatever of the USERS of the system.  In-fact he/she is the actual OWNER of the data in the system.  Explain to him/her how dangerous and devious the developers are to the data.  Talk about corruption, system downtime, partial and incomplete restores.  Use some technical DBA language to make them understand you have the knowledge, but make sure you keep the message at a manager level of understanding.  Get them good and scared.  Then when the developers are asking for the free ride in production you have an advocate in high postion that can put the CTO in a position of getting a backbone.  When the COO starts asking why his people can't work, or why the P/L statement is messed up the CTO will start scrambling for a lockdown on production and more comprehensive testing of new or enhanced code.  Remember the politics.  We in the IT field are not the production organization we are the service organization.  When it comes to power struggles at the Cxx levels the production/operations guys always beat the IT/IS guys.  It's a mater of $$$ and performance in front of the CEO.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff

size=2>
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff

size=2>HTH
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff

size=2>
Rodd
Holman

  <FONT face=Tahoma
  size=2>-----Original Message-----From: Koivu, Lisa   [mailto:lkoivu_at_qode.com]Sent: Friday, February 02, 2001 9:20   AMTo: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-LSubject:   Pondering Question of the Day-RESPECT
  "Hello Oracle Guru"
  Now why is it that I get more respect on the   Internet than I do in my workplace.  ??   How many of you have this problem?  It's like   an ongoing fight with developers, they want carte blanche in the production   database, and they do whatever they want EVEN THOUGH I tell them NO, let's do   something different that won't affect production.  I go to the CTO   because this is like the 3rd time this has happened, and he sends out a   let's-be-sure-not-to-offend-anyone email.  But the developer(s) will go   ahead and do what they want ANYWAY.  I'm waiting for the first   user-mistake recovery to say STOP, I've had ENOUGH and this is how it's going   to be, no ifs, ands or buts.
  My last job may have been a sweatshop, but at least   people respected my authority.  Here, it's a free for all no matter what   I do.  Even when I say, Dude, I own the database.  If there's a   problem, I have to fix it.  Therefore I say what happens in production   and what doesn' t happen in production.    And yes, I am looking for another position.  I   can only take this dba/developer/janitor role for so long.   I'M SO GLAD IT'S FRIDAY...  Bring on the   Captain Morgan!  It's noon somewhere...   Lisa Rutland Koivu <FONT
  face=Arial size=1>Oracle Database Administrator <FONT face=Arial   size=1>Qode.com 4850 North State Road   7 Suite G104 <FONT face=Arial
  size=1>Fort Lauderdale, FL  33319
  V: 954.484.3191, x174 <FONT face=Arial   size=1>F: 954.484.2933 C:
  954.658.5849 <A target=_blank
  href="http://www.qode.com">http://www.qode.com   "The information contained herein
  does not express the opinion or position of Qode.com and cannot be attributed   to or made binding upon Qode.com." Received on Fri Feb 02 2001 - 10:32:38 CST