RE: Pondering Question of the Day-RESPECT

From: Gabriel Galanternik <ggalanterni_at_tesis-oys.com.ar>
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2001 09:12:25 -0800

Pondering Question of the Day-RESPECTlisa, feel sorry for you, but it's some of what we discuss the other day about if a developer should tell dba about creating tables and so.

i think that here, we respect the others based only on technical skills, and that's the way it should be at work,
and sometimes not.

maybe, just to get some piece of mind, in your place, I would change the phrase "I own database" for "I'm responsible to make it work", they means the same but in second case you won't feel they are hurting you.

this problem is a sign of these days that runs at "internet speed" :-( when I was in that position, the only thing that helped a little was "zero tolerance", but maybe you can't.
other position would be, "ok, you break it, I'll fix it" but then you must write a full report, describing
problem, when, what, who, why and what the solution was, including time you spend on each of the
tasks, ok?
who will read it? you could try in this order:
- the one who made the mistake and,

at least, you can cover you from blaming best wishes
Gabriel Galanternik

"Hello Oracle Guru"
Now why is it that I get more respect on the Internet than I do in my workplace. ??
How many of you have this problem? It's like an ongoing fight with developers, they want carte blanche in the production database, and they do whatever they want EVEN THOUGH I tell them NO, let's do something different that won't affect production. I go to the CTO because this is like the 3rd time this has happened, and he sends out a let's-be-sure-not-to-offend-anyone email. But the developer(s) will go ahead and do what they want ANYWAY. I'm waiting for the first user-mistake recovery to say STOP, I've had ENOUGH and this is how it's going to be, no ifs, ands or buts.
My last job may have been a sweatshop, but at least people respected my authority. Here, it's a free for all no matter what I do. Even when I say, Dude, I own the database. If there's a problem, I have to fix it. Therefore I say what happens in production and what doesn' t happen in production.
And yes, I am looking for another position. I can only take this dba/developer/janitor role for so long.
I'M SO GLAD IT'S FRIDAY... Bring on the Captain Morgan! It's noon somewhere...
Lisa Rutland Koivu
Oracle Database Administrator
Qode.com
4850 North State Road 7
Suite G104
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33319

V: 954.484.3191, x174
F: 954.484.2933
C: 954.658.5849

http://www.qode.com
"The information contained herein does not express the opinion or position of Qode.com and cannot be attributed to or made binding upon Qode.com."
Author: Gabriel Galanternik
  INET: ggalanterni_at_tesis-oys.com.ar