RE: DG for nologging

From: Noveljic Nenad <nenad.noveljic_at_vontobel.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2018 23:54:03 +0000

Obviously, there are many pros and cons to both of the solutions.

I’d just like to add a point that I think hasn’t been mentioned so far.

As we all know, Data Guard (DG) is underpinned by database recovery. This means that it is rather redo blocks instead of data blocks that are shipped across. Consequently, unlike in SAN-based replication, corrupted data blocks won’t be propagated to the standby site when using DG.

Nenad

http://nenadnoveljic.com/blog/

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Mladen Gogala Sent: Mittwoch, 7. März 2018 22:58
To: Sheehan, Jeremy; arjen.visser_at_gmail.com; Andrew Kerber Cc: nupendra_at_hotmail.com; oracle-l_at_freelists.org Subject: Re: DG for nologging

On 03/07/2018 04:10 PM, Sheehan, Jeremy wrote: Despite the downsides, I personally think it is better than Data Guard.

There is no such thing as "better" or "worse". There is only "it is a better fit to my situation and budget". There are several solutions:

  • Data Guard
  • DbVisit
  • SAN replication
  • Snapshot based discrete backups, like SnapVault by NetApp.
  • Database replication, like GG or SharePlex.

Corporate giants like Citigroup, Exxon Mobile or Walmart will probably chose different solution than some smaller companies. Fortunately, I am not a DBA any more, so I don't have to chose the solution any more. That is also the reason why this debate will never reach any meaningful end.

--

Mladen Gogala

Database Consultant

Tel: (347) 321-1217

Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail. Bitte denken Sie an die Umwelt, bevor Sie dieses E-Mail drucken.

<head>
</head>