Re: DG for nologging

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2018 16:57:42 -0500

On 03/07/2018 04:10 PM, Sheehan, Jeremy wrote:

> Despite the downsides, I personally think it is better than Data Guard.

There is no such thing as "better" or "worse". There is only "it is a better fit to my situation and budget".  There are several solutions:

  • Data Guard
  • DbVisit
  • SAN replication
  • Snapshot based discrete backups, like SnapVault by NetApp.
  • Database replication, like GG or SharePlex.

Corporate giants like Citigroup, Exxon Mobile or Walmart will probably chose different solution than some smaller companies. Fortunately, I am not a DBA any more, so I don't have to chose the solution any more. That is also the reason why this debate will never reach any meaningful end.

--
Mladen Gogala
Database Consultant