RE: DG for nologging

From: Sheehan, Jeremy <JEREMY.SHEEHAN_at_fpl.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2018 14:05:30 +0000

It is all dependent on your situation. If I can use SAN replication instead of data guard or dbvisit, I’m going to use it. It is one less thing I have to worry about.

From: Mladen Gogala [mailto:gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com] Sent: Wednesday, March 7, 2018 4:58 PM
To: Sheehan, Jeremy <JEREMY.SHEEHAN_at_fpl.com>; arjen.visser_at_gmail.com; Andrew Kerber <andrew.kerber_at_gmail.com> Cc: nupendra_at_hotmail.com; oracle-l_at_freelists.org Subject: Re: DG for nologging

CAUTION - EXTERNAL EMAIL On 03/07/2018 04:10 PM, Sheehan, Jeremy wrote: Despite the downsides, I personally think it is better than Data Guard.

There is no such thing as "better" or "worse". There is only "it is a better fit to my situation and budget". There are several solutions:

  • Data Guard
  • DbVisit
  • SAN replication
  • Snapshot based discrete backups, like SnapVault by NetApp.
  • Database replication, like GG or SharePlex.

Corporate giants like Citigroup, Exxon Mobile or Walmart will probably chose different solution than some smaller companies. Fortunately, I am not a DBA any more, so I don't have to chose the solution any more. That is also the reason why this debate will never reach any meaningful end.

--

Mladen Gogala

Database Consultant

Tel: (347) 321-1217