Re: Navigation question

From: Walt <>
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2007 15:26:59 GMT

"Marshall" <> wrote in message
> On Mar 5, 3:36 pm, "Tony D" <> wrote:
> >
> > Well, I took it upon myself to look MUMPS up on Wikipedia, which led
> > me to this lovely document here :
> >
> > Globals - A Primer for Relational
> Tony,
> Congratulations on a wry bit of satire. Ha ha! This "MUMPS" you
> have imagined gave me quite a chuckle. Very elaborate! However
> to maximize the humor value, I think it is best to have something
> that is *almost* plausible, whereas this stuff you've written
> about couldn't possibly be real.
> But still funny!
> Marshall

What makes you think it's satire?

I've been aware of (from a distance) hospital systems based on MUMPS for decades!

In order to understand the "no safety net" and "single character command" mind set, you have to understand how limited the PDP-7 computer really was! The fact that the author takes pride in this mentality is not intentional satire (IMO). It may, however, be unwitting self-satire. Received on Tue Mar 06 2007 - 16:26:59 CET

Original text of this message