Re: Navigation question

From: Marshall <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com>
Date: 6 Mar 2007 07:49:21 -0800

On Mar 6, 7:26 am, "Walt" <wami..._at_verizon.net> wrote:
> "Marshall" <marshall.spi..._at_gmail.com> wrote in message
>

> > But still funny!
>
> What makes you think it's satire?

Sorry to be overly self-referential. My feigned labeling of Tony's post as satire was itself satire. In other words, I read Tony's post and after I picked my jaw back up off the floor, I thought to heighten the surreality of his analysis by reacting to it as if it was a joke.

> In order to understand the "no safety net" and "single character command"
> mind set, you have to understand how limited the PDP-7 computer really was!
> The fact that the author takes pride in this mentality is not intentional
> satire (IMO). It may, however, be unwitting self-satire.

Heh. I used to program the PDP 11/44 by toggling programs in with the front panel switches, and they weren't a lot more than PDP-7s.

(Compare this statement with "I used to bullseye womprats in my T-16 back home, and they're not much bigger than three meters.")

Marshall

PS. I deeply apologize for the Star Wars quote. Received on Tue Mar 06 2007 - 16:49:21 CET

Original text of this message