Re: Bob's 'Self-aggrandizing ignorant' Count: Was: What databases have taught me

From: Marshall <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com>
Date: 25 Jun 2006 18:16:39 -0700

Keith H Duggar wrote:
> Marshall wrote:
> > What, you can't tell the insults from the content? Here's
> > an idea: take some of Bob's posts, pull them in to your
> > favorite text editor, and edit out the insults *and only*
> > the insults.
> >
> > Try it:
>
> [snip example]
>
> > Not all that hard, really. And you're left with something
> > that is actually quite well written, and quite cogent.
>
> Fascinating. I actually found it more clear /with/ the
> insult. Go figure. Maybe it helps to highlight points of
> disagreement?

Let me be clear: I thought it was cogent before the edit as well.

I remain deeply ambivalent about Bob's use of insults. Sometimes, I think that all they do is distract and inflame. Other times, I think that in fact Bob is the only one rude enough to cut through the bullshit and point out the ridiculousness of what people are saying. Sometimes I think he's too quick on the trigger, other times it seems as if he's the first one to figure out when we're being snowed. Maybe all those are true, I dunno.

What I have never done, however, is mistake the presence of insults for the absence of content. Bob always has content. And I might add, a laserlike command of terminology, which frankly impresses the hell out of me.

Marshall Received on Mon Jun 26 2006 - 03:16:39 CEST

Original text of this message