Re: OO versus RDB

From: Marshall <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com>
Date: 25 Jun 2006 17:53:20 -0700

H. S. Lahman wrote:

> The point is that the application problem solution does not care how the
> data is stored. Nor should it be affected by any changes to the data
> storage that do not effect its semantics. In half a century in this
> business I've observed the introduction of five major paradigms for
> persistence. I would not bet against yet another appearing.
> [...]
> I don't care what storage paradigm is used or what access mechanisms one
> uses to access the data store. The point is that, whatever they are,
> they should be isolated from the problem solution so that they are
> completely transparent to the problem solution.

Reading the above, a lightbulb went off for me. Now I see where you're coming from: you are optimizing your code for following the latest trends in technology. Buzzword compliance management, so to speak. If you're careful not to use anything of the systems you build software on, you can swap those systems out for new, more popular ones quite easily.

This is probably a great idea, but it breaks down if one of those systems actually manages to supply something of value. You won't be able to make use of it.

Marshall Received on Mon Jun 26 2006 - 02:53:20 CEST

Original text of this message