Re: Declarative constraints in practical terms

From: David Cressey <dcressey_at_verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 14:15:45 GMT

"dawn" <dawnwolthuis_at_gmail.com> wrote in

> Oh, I guess you are synthesizing while retaining the Information
> Principle. How would that work?

I'm not working on the problem that you are. I'm just predicting the outcome.

> Yes, indeed, you are, David. And my opinions are subject to change.
> I'm using the blog for those topics where I think my opinion is worth
> something. I state opinions here on some topics where I'm very green
> so I can hear the opinions of those who are not. They are rarely
> hestitant to correct me, even if I am not immediately (or possibly)
> ever convinced.

I think the division you have made between the blog and the ng is quite well done.
There is room on the web for both kinds of expression.

> I'm quite open on such topics as constraint handling and what data
> independence is all about, for example, and probably sound quite stupid
> and ignorant on those. Sorry if my learning technique (of stating my
> opinions) has been an irritant for you (really) since I generally
> appreciate your contributions.

What I find irritating is this:

Several times you have started one of these threads with a statement that could only have been seriously made by someone quite unfamiliar with databases themselves, and with data management as such, and not subordinated to software development management. Then I or someone else responds with a simple introductory explanation of how the concepts behind RM or SQL work, and how to put them to good advantage.

At that point, you respond with a defensive reaction about the number of years of professional experience you bring to the table, about the number of Oracle projects you led before finally coming to the light and leading a Pick project, and how you were rescued from moving from IMS to DB2, and more yada yada.. In other words, you blow off the comments that were made to try to instruct you.

I've seen this same pattern enough times that I am not tempted to simply start over at the top when you start a topic like "Declarative constraints in practical terms." All anyone has to do is make some comment about how declarative constraints have been useful in the context of successful projects, and you're going to come out with guns blazing about how Pick programmers don't need any of that baggage. You know that what I'm saying is true, Dawn.

And you can't be surprised that it's irritating. Received on Sat Feb 25 2006 - 15:15:45 CET

Original text of this message