Re: Declarative constraints in practical terms

From: dawn <dawnwolthuis_at_gmail.com>
Date: 24 Feb 2006 15:02:16 -0800

David Cressey wrote:
> "dawn" <dawnwolthuis_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
>
> > The RM is definitely credible. The mathematics of it is credible. It
> > brings some desirable features with it when used in practice.
>
> Dawn,
>
> I've had to wait two years, and wade through mountains of tripe, to see you
> write that!

If I had known you needed it, I could have provided that earlier. If it had no value, I don't think the industry would have adopted it. Similarly with XML.

> I'm glad you finally admit it.

I used to preach it and there were enough people here to do so that I likely didn't see a need.

> Where you're going to get to, if you stay
> with it long enough, is not a counterrevolution but a synthesis.

If it gets us to where we need to be, that is fine with me. That is a whole lot different than holding on to the Information Principle. At least I cannot right now see how a synthesis would retain that. Once that is gone, it is not the RM, but something else.

> The values of working withing the RM are real. They are not delusion. They
> are not going away. If you find a way to be more "agile", you are going to
> have to integrate it with the Information Principle,

Oh, I guess you are synthesizing while retaining the Information Principle. How would that work?

> rather than discard it.
> Just my opinion, of course. But I'm as entitled to my opinion as you are to
> yours.

Yes, indeed, you are, David. And my opinions are subject to change. I'm using the blog for those topics where I think my opinion is worth something. I state opinions here on some topics where I'm very green so I can hear the opinions of those who are not. They are rarely hestitant to correct me, even if I am not immediately (or possibly) ever convinced.

I'm quite open on such topics as constraint handling and what data independence is all about, for example, and probably sound quite stupid and ignorant on those. Sorry if my learning technique (of stating my opinions) has been an irritant for you (really) since I generally appreciate your contributions. Cheers! --dawn Received on Sat Feb 25 2006 - 00:02:16 CET

Original text of this message