Re: Latest version of glossary

From: David Cressey <dcressey_at_verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 14:28:09 GMT

"Marshall Spight" <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com> wrote in message news:1140818783.512317.6840_at_i39g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> JOG wrote:
> >
> > When one talks about 2-dimensions and arrays in respect to RM, one is
> > talking about the visualization, not the underlying model.
>
> THANK you!
>
> That issue is so fatiguing. I don't understand why it's so hard
> for people to get. Relations aren't two dimensional.

This is why I say that "a relational table is a representation of a relation".

A relational table is 2 dimensional. A relation is n-dimensional. (or of degree n).

In my mind, the confusion of the representation of a thing, and the thing itself, is responsible for many of these fatiguing problems in informatica that just keep coming back like a bad penny. Received on Sat Feb 25 2006 - 08:28:09 CST