Re: Announcing New Blog

From: David Cressey <dcressey_at_verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 12:05:36 GMT

> I looked at that. Theme seems to be that Codd is dead. I would like to
> point out that fortunately, some of his disciples aren't.
>
> Although I think RVA's haven't been much explored, I would have liked a
> concrete reason for the NF2 example being better. Otherwise it's more
> polemic than real argument.

I disagree. I think the initial blog frames dawn's case fairly well. In particular, it brings the issue down to the single word "normalize", and states the case she intends to make. I think it was useful to state the case before making it. It's sort of like opening arguments in a case at law.

I'm skeptical, very skeptical of that case. To the extent that I've seen that case made in this forum, it seems to rest on experiences that simply do not correlate with my own. But Dawn may yet be able to make the case, using the blog format, in a way that I have not seen the case made in here.

The problem in an interactive firum like this one is that the battleground is constantly shifting. One week it's about whether Codd or Date got it right about Nulls. The next week it's about whether pickies play volleyball bettter than squirrels. The next week it's about whether files are better than databases. And terminology is always getting in the way of moving the discussion forward. Received on Wed Jan 11 2006 - 13:05:36 CET

Original text of this message