Re: What is the most difficult search operations for criminal finger print

From: -CELKO- <jcelko212_at_earthlink.net>
Date: 11 Jan 2006 05:51:02 -0800

We use the Henry-Galt system to encode a fingerprint n the US; there are other systems. It is based on several things, such as general shapes and counting ridges. Each code will have a lot of printfinger cards. In the old days, we searched the cards by hand because computers could not do it.

If you have a partial print, you have to match it to all the fingers on a "ten card" by scan thru the cards with the same Henry-Galt code and overlaying images. I think it still requires 5 or more points of match for legal purposes.

There is a NIST standard for this and you can also look up Printrac-De La Rue (sp?) and one of the Japanese electronic firms (Fijitsu?) who made the equipment. I have been out of this for over ten years, but that ought to get you started. Received on Wed Jan 11 2006 - 14:51:02 CET

Original text of this message