Re: Announcing New Blog

From: dawn <dawnwolthuis_at_gmail.com>
Date: 11 Jan 2006 12:22:44 -0800

David Cressey wrote:

> > I looked at that. Theme seems to be that Codd is dead. I would like to
> > point out that fortunately, some of his disciples aren't.
> >
> > Although I think RVA's haven't been much explored, I would have liked a
> > concrete reason for the NF2 example being better. Otherwise it's more
> > polemic than real argument.
> >

> I disagree. I think the initial blog frames dawn's case fairly well. In
> particular, it brings the issue down to the single word "normalize", and
> states the case she intends to make. I think it was useful to state the
> case before making it. It's sort of like opening arguments in a case at
> law.

Yes, that was the intent. I didn't want to be wishy-washy about it, but knew I could not present all information in one blog.

> I'm skeptical, very skeptical of that case.

I wouldn't want it any other way ;-) I, too, keep a skeptical mind. I'm not offering a religion. There is not exactly one right way to do things, but I do believe that some approaches could save significant dollars for a company over other approaches over time.

> To the extent that I've seen
> that case made in this forum, it seems to rest on experiences that simply do
> not correlate with my own.

Yes and I'm sure I'll bring in anecdotes, but plan to lay out a case in other ways as well.

> But Dawn may yet be able to make the case, using
> the blog format, in a way that I have not seen the case made in here.

Although I don't think my case is perfect, I think I can show it to be compelling. I will try to lay out the argument more logically than I have here in the past. I have used this forum for research and to refine my ideas but have also learned what trips which buttons so that I can try to avoid potential misunderstanding.

> The problem in an interactive firum like this one is that the battleground
> is constantly shifting. One week it's about whether Codd or Date got it
> right about Nulls. The next week it's about whether pickies play volleyball
> bettter than squirrels. The next week it's about whether files are better
> than databases. And terminology is always getting in the way of moving the
> discussion forward.

Yes. This type of dialog has been helpful to me, but I'm ready to state my case in a way that the blog format will likely facilitate better.

Thanks, David. --dawn Received on Wed Jan 11 2006 - 21:22:44 CET

Original text of this message