Re: foundations of relational theory? - some references for the truly starving

From: frostalicious <frostyj_at_nospam.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2003 20:45:06 -0800

Marshall Spight wrote:
> Is it then also rude to refer to Bob using words such as "ass",
> "unprofessional" and "snide"?
I suppose so.

> Does doing so also serve no purpose?

I think there's a purpose. Although it seems to be wasted, the purpose was to minimize further snide comments.

> If not, could someone explain why?

I'll try.

> Is "he started it" sufficient justification?
In most parts of Usenet, yes.

> I am actually curious as to the mental process that leads
> people to condemn with inflammatory language others
> for their use of inflammatory language.

I would call it frustration.

> Or am I missing the issue somehow?
>
> Marshall

With the high expectation of courtesy from posters to groups for professionals (cdp) and scientists (cdt,) plus another, higher level of expectation from the (allegedly) more educated and more intelligent, Bob's indiscretions seem especially uncalled for.

The response to the incivilities initiated by Bob seems rather tame and late in coming; I'm surprised so many cut him so much slack for so long. He would hear far worse, far sooner, in just about any other n/g. Usenet's a pretty wild and wooly place, for the most part, and in many groups Bob's crasser posts would have triggered an immediate assault by a number of group regulars, in far harsher terms than I've seen here.

Maybe Bob could repeatedly call everybody in alt.trucks.ford with a 7.3L PSD an "idiot," and we could compare the response!

  • frosty