Re: (OT)Dynamic inheritance (was: Object support in the relational model??)

From: Bob Badour <bbadour_at_golden.net>
Date: Sun, 9 Jun 2002 01:51:27 -0400

"Rick Morris" <morriscode_at_telocity.com> wrote in message news:3d02ee58$1_7_at_nopics.sjc...
> "Alfredo Novoa" <alfredo_at_nospam_ncs.es> wrote in message

> > >As I said, it is just a placeholder at the moment. The person who
created
> it
> > >responded to my email, saying he is just hoping it can provide some
sort
> of
> > >focal point for people interested in putting the project together. My
> point
> > >is, let's all do what we can, however limited. My abilities are at the
> > >moment limited to scripting languages, but I would be glad to help with
> > >testing, documentation, etc...
> >
> > But a void placeholder does not attract a lot of interest. The project
> > was registered 1 year ago and nobody has joined to it. I am very
> > interested in tutorial D, but a totally void placeholder does not
> > encourage very much to joining in.

> Well, maybe no one has joined it because no one has joined it. (recursion
> can kill you ;-). Tell you what: I will take the step of joining the
> project. I already promised Leandro that I would help in whatever limited
> way I could, even if it is just documentation and publicity. Will you at
> least take that step also?
>

> > I am developing a tutorial D implementation for internal use (at this
> > moment it only works with simple types), it is not open source, but I
> > am insterested in discussion about implementation and I can
> > collaborate if people starts to do something.
> >
> > For instance I have BNF specifications at hand.
>
> That would be a perfect start. My whole interest here is to create
something
> that would provide an open standard, by which someone could implement
> Tutorial D in any language (within reason). Why not contact Leandro, the
> project manager? I know that BNF specs are exactly what he is looking for
> right now.
>
> Worth a try?

Why do you want to implement a tutorial language? An industrial strength one already exists (alphora's dataphor). Doesn't it make more sense to gain market acceptance for the existing one? Or do you think that an "Open D" would help by providing a competing platform and reassuring users that they have something to fall back on? Received on Sun Jun 09 2002 - 07:51:27 CEST

Original text of this message