D languages (was: (OT)Dynamic inheritance (was: Object support in the relational model??))

From: Alfredo Novoa <alfredo_at_nospam_ncs.es>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 23:43:16 GMT

On Sun, 9 Jun 2002 01:51:27 -0400, "Bob Badour" <bbadour_at_golden.net> wrote:

>Why do you want to implement a tutorial language? An industrial strength one
>already exists (alphora's dataphor).

In my case is because I have discovered dataphor too late. And now at least my implementation is better adapted to my needs (especially in presentation rules support). But dataphor is a very good source of ideas.

And the interest is in developing a usable language. Tutorial D only needs a little work in order to make it usable.

I have seen one thing in D4 not included in the Third Manifesto and deprecated in other Date's books: outer joins. I don't know how they solve the problem of nulls with outer joins.

> Doesn't it make more sense to gain
>market acceptance for the existing one? Or do you think that an "Open D"
>would help by providing a competing platform and reassuring users that they
>have something to fall back on?

IMO a good "Open D" would be a very good thing, but I doubt very very much I will see it.

Competition is always good. I am sure we will see other comercial implementations of Date and Darwen ideas. I have seen on the net that there are more people working on it. Received on Tue Jun 11 2002 - 01:43:16 CEST

Original text of this message