Re: Implementing DBMS in Java

From: Cimarron Taylor <cimarron+google_at_taylors.org>
Date: 8 Jun 2002 23:22:21 -0700

Sandeep,

If you are asking about a SQL engine, my experience is that as long as the implementation avoids generating and collecting garbage (which means making minimal use of many Java class libraries), a Java based DBMS implementation should perform about as well as a C implementation.

While I have no recent data to support this claim, I can say that in 1997 using JDK 1.0.2 the performance of the Harmonia database engine was comparable to MS Access and Sybase SQL Anywhere on queries which are not CPU intensive.

Cim Received on Sun Jun 09 2002 - 08:22:21 CEST

Original text of this message