Re: DB comparison case (in)sensitivity ordering

From: Nis Jorgensen <nis_at_dkik.dk>
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2001 20:03:46 +0100

On Thu, 06 Dec 2001 17:45:49 GMT, "David Cressey" <david_at_dcressey.com> wrote:

>> "Words used by a person" => "Way the person thinks"
>
>I see your point on this one, but I also see Joe's point. In a newsgroup,
>there is very little other than the words used in a message to tell the
>group what the writer is thinking.

Two points on this one:

  1. While "Record" and "Field" might have a certain meaning in procedural programming, a lot of people these days are using them as synonymous with "Row" and "column" - without associating them with the kind of sequential data access methods Joe described.
  2. I did not try to convince Joe that he should stop telling people to use other terms - in fact I think he has every right to fight for his cause. But he shouldn't assume that other people associate these words with sequential data access. We don't.
--
Nis Jorgensen
Amsterdam

Please include only relevant quotes, and reply below the quoted text. Thanks