Re: DB comparison case (in)sensitivity ordering

From: David Cressey <david_at_dcressey.com>
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2001 20:45:59 GMT

> a) While "Record" and "Field" might have a certain meaning in
> procedural programming, a lot of people these days are using them as
> synonymous with "Row" and "column" - without associating them with the
> kind of sequential data access methods Joe described.

Yes, and a lot of other people are using "record" and "field" as being synonymous with "row" and "column" precisely because they never got it about working with sets of data. Joe Celko's comments are singularly to the point with regard to such people.

Now the question is, how do you tell which is which? How do you tell whether someone has the concepts straight, and is merely using odd terminology, and which ones are fundamentally at sea on the concepts? It isn't always easy, and I claim that Joe does as good a job as anybody else in this NG.

--
Regards,
    David Cressey