Re: B*-trees

From: Carl Rosenberger <carl_at_db4o.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 20:15:44 +0100

Christoph Rupp wrote:
> yes - but i think our opinions are not that different. I am a student in
> the 5th semester (of 8). My excel sheet says that my goal is neither to
> become a database programmer nor a compiler engineer. It just says: i want
> to have a job which makes fun and is very interesting.

Database programmer and compiler engineer can be fun and interesting. From my experience, a job is fun

- if you start developing own new ideas
- if you meet interesting people during your work
- if you decide how and when to work
- if you produce something during your work, which is useful for the world.

> How can i find out which jobs are interesting for me? I don't know of any
> company in Bavaria which makes compilers.

I told you, that we are in Bavaria, working on databases.

> (in fact i don't know about any
> company in whole Germany which makes compilers),

Compilers might be a future theme. ;-)

> I have not yet made the experience that learning at university is enough
> be prepared for the industry.

To be honest:
If you wan't to become a good programmer, you don't need the university at all.
The learning curve is much better, if you have excellent programmers around you.
The internet has more ideas than your prof can communicate. Experimenting with languages opens your horizon. You need to test your work in practice to get feedback. Learning and motivation are much better, if your code is actually needed for a project.

> And i can say that 95% are not interested in writing software - they want
> to become network administrators.

That is not on your excel sheet, I believe. The administrator job is not creative.
For me, I would find it very boring.

> > In present days I find the domain know how is in hot demand.
This is very true.

Regards,
Carl

---