Re: B*-trees

From: Christoph Rupp <chrrupp_at_rz.fh-augsburg.de>
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2001 00:57:18 +0100

Carl Rosenberger wrote:

> Christoph Rupp wrote:
> [SQL solutions for storing an inheritance structure]
> Your 2 solutions look like they could work.
> There are O-R mapping tools that do similar tasks.
> But why complicate things and not use or build an OODB right away?

But how would you do that in C++? You can never automate it in such a way that this works:

class CChild : public CDBObj
{
//...
};

CChild child;
DB.Store(child);

I know, never say never - but right now i have no idea how you could implement it. Of course you could just write
raw bytes, starting at &child, sizeof(child) bytes long. But this works only with simple classes. If CChild has a member which is a pointer to some data then the address of the pointer will be saved, not the data.

Maybe it's a different case with Java. We have learned Java at university but i haven't used it much. Maybe you can extend it in a way that such operations are supported.

> > I'm 10 years younger then you but I may give you the best advice i can
 ever
> > give: Get rid of your TV.
>
> How come that I can post at this time of day?

20 o'clock? Not watching the "Tagesschau"? :-) OK, i won't say anything more...

Chris

ICQ - 46157525
http://www.crupp.de - about me (English) http://www.kochenmachtspass.de - Kochrezepte en masse! (Deutsch) Received on Sun Jan 14 2001 - 00:57:18 CET

Original text of this message