Re: B*-trees

From: Christoph Rupp <chrrupp_at_rz.fh-augsburg.de>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 18:21:12 +0100

Hi,

> He may be right as he is writing from his point of views, and the
> things that may craze u may not to him !

yes - but i think our opinions are not that different. I am a student in the 5th semester (of 8). My excel sheet says that my goal is neither to become a database programmer nor a compiler engineer. It just says: i want to have a job which makes fun and is very interesting.

How can i find out which jobs are interesting for me? I don't know of any company in Bavaria which makes compilers (in fact i don't know about any company in whole Germany which makes compilers), so i can't work there as a part-time worker or college intern. So what can i do? Try to get in touch on my own with compiler technology and find out if it's interesting. And what i am doing here with my database is something similar - i try to find out if it could be the job of my dreams.

So with respect to my goal i can say that what i am doing in my sparetime does not disagree with my excel sheet.

> But still i find filling the excel sheet will not serve any purpose
> till u are interested in R&D business. If u want to be in industry do
> some thing told by the college seniors or by the T&P department
> (placement office), If u have disposed of ur correct profile in this
> thread.

I have not yet made the experience that learning at university is enough to be prepared for the industry. Most of us have never written more software then the usual exercises (matrix multiplications etc). The only way to prepare yourself is to write software either at home or in a company, working as a college inhouse. And i'm studying at a so-called "University of applied sciences" which is more practical oriented then a normal university. The full 3rd and 6th semester we work as college inhouses. For many of us this is the only chance to learn something. And i can say that 95% are not interested in writing software - they want to become network administrators.

> In present days I find the domain know how is in hot demand.

Yes, no doubt!

Chris Received on Fri Jan 12 2001 - 18:21:12 CET

Original text of this message