Re: Forms MESSAGE() built-in

From: Steve Cosner <stevec_at_zimmer.CSUFresno.EDU>
Date: 1996/01/16

I use Forms 4.5 and have the same problem, but I've given up on finding any solution. Getting a message such as "working..." to display *before* doing a time-consuming server call is impossible.

I've even tried issuing two message calls so the first will be sure to display, but even that doesn't work. I don't think synchronize will work--it's only used if you switch canvasses.

My experience is that messages don't display until control is passed back to the user, and the form is waiting for more input. I think it is really Windows, and not the Form, that is part of the problem. If you find a sure-fire solution, please post it for everyone to see.

Regards,
Steve Cosner

In article <1996Jan12.060344.9045_at_lafn.org> ab803_at_lafn.org (Karla Johnso writes: <snip> >Regardless of whether I call MESSAGE() specifying ACKNOWLEDGE,
>NO_ACKNOWLEDGE, or with no mode spec whatsoever, my message may or may
>not even be displayed at all, much less in the mode I requested.
>
>Usually, these messages are just issued on a WHEN-BUTTON-PRESSED trigger
>in order to display a reassuring message to the user that the program is
>actually doing something even though it looks like it's just sitting there.
<snip> Received on Tue Jan 16 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message