MESSAGE() built-in

From: Karla Johnson <ab803_at_lafn.org>
Date: 1996/01/12

I'm using two versions of Oracle Forms 4.0 on two different Unix platforms. One version is earlier than the other (the earliest is Designer version 4.0.12.4.1 for Server release 7.0.16.4.1), but both versions seem to have problems with calls to the built-in MESSAGE() function.

Regardless of whether I call MESSAGE() specifying ACKNOWLEDGE, NO_ACKNOWLEDGE, or with no mode spec whatsoever, my message may or may not even be displayed at all, much less in the mode I requested.

Usually, these messages are just issued on a WHEN-BUTTON-PRESSED trigger in order to display a reassuring message to the user that the program is actually doing something even though it looks like it's just sitting there.

I've tried every possible variation of calling MESSAGE, including moving it out of the trigger into a PL/SQL routine, but control over display of a MESSAGE appears to be out of the programmer's control.

Help!!! What am I doing wrong? Or is this a bug which will be simply redocumented as a feature in a later release???

Thanks for your help!

Karla Johnson

--
Karla Johnson                       |      Internet: karjohn_at_kincyb.com