Re: Forms MESSAGE() built-in

From: Karen Anderson <anderson_at_cs.pdx.edu>
Date: 1996/01/27

In article <4e9170$iih_at_spectator.cris.com>, Ken Denny <kedenny_at_mail.concentric.net> wrote:
> [...]

 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

>>If you want the message to display there and then, then follow it with
>>synchronize;
>>
>>Hey presto
>
>Not for me.

Me neither--I'm using the Solaris/Motif version. In the Help on Synchronize there are listed two restrictions: 1) you must be at an "item" level in the hierarchy, 2) Something very mysterious

The gist of the problem seems to be that if you are processing a trigger you (Motif,Windows...) are not fetching and dispatching events. It didn't suprise me that one had to finish the trigger to see something display; Synchronize looked promising (and it does seem to work ok it all you want to do is update, say, the contents of a text field). But Messages, I'm supposing, aren't items.

English is my first language, but my command of Oracle HelpSpeak is spotty and I seem particularly tonedeaf to anything involving Forms :) Anybody who really knows care to translate the Synchronize "help" into simpler, comprehensible examples ? Better yet, is there a "canonical" way to do something like

   Push a button
   Pop a message saying that you're busy    Go off and do something interesting in a C module called via the FFI    Return with an answer and live happily ever after.

And, while the first three are going on disregard frantic mouseclicks on other buttons...? Something maybe that doesn't involve a lot of timers? And what about modality....

Apologies for the abysmal ignorance: please set me on to the relevant OracleDocs (if the subject is covered it's well disguised). Received on Sat Jan 27 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message